RAFT ASSEMBLY (Contd)
All personnel must wear approved life jackets and
unblouse pants from boots while operating equipment on
or near water. Failure to comply may result in serious
injury or death of personnel.
Never intermix IFB (SRB) bays with IRB bays when
building rafts. Failure to comply may result in injury or
death to personnel and damage to equipment.
Ensure all personnel are clear of lines under load.
Failure to comply may result in injury or death to
Three or more boats are required for raft assembly. Each
boat will require one boat operator and two
1. Boat operators and crewmembers retrieve two launched interior bridge bays (1)
2. One boat operator maintains position of bridge bay (1) while second boat
operator maneuvers bridge bay (2) close enough for crew members to use boat
hook or bow lines to bring bridge bays (1) and (2) together.
3. Boat operators maintain interior bridge bay (1) in contact with stationary
interior bridge bay (2), to center line until crewmembers align and couple
interior bridge bays (1) and (2). Refer to TM 5-5420-278-10 or
4. Boat operator holds partially assembled raft in position while ramp bay (3) is
5. First boat operator holds partially assembled raft in position while more bridge
bays are added.
6. When raft is completed, boats push raft toward shore. Bridge crewmembers
anchor ramp bay to shore. Refer to TM 5-5420-278-10 or TM 5-5420-209-12.
7. Secure boats to completed raft assembly per raft commander. Refer to
longitudinal rafting procedures.