CLEAN RO MEMBRANES
During solution cleaning, the media filter must remain isolated from the circulated clean-
2. CLOSE, lock out, and tag out (FM 55-502) valves RO-V-3 (figure 6, item 1) and RO-V-4 (figure 6, item 2).
The circulated water used to chemically clean the reverse osmosis membranes must be
salt and chlorine free. Upon completion of prefiltration subassembly service, verify that
the water remaining in the system is salt free and chlorine free. Test samples may be
drawn from the 5-micron filter air release valves. Continue performing fresh water flush
cycles until the sampled water tests free of salt and chlorine.
3. Perform Prefiltration Subassembly Service (WP 0016 00) on both Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Units
4. Draw water samples from the 5-micron filter air release valves (figure 7, item 1) and verify that the water is
salt and chlorine free. If the samples are salt and chlorine free, continue with the procedure. If the samples
are not salt and chlorine free, continue fresh water flushing.
Do not allow hydraulic fluid, engine oil, or cleaning solvents to come in contact
with unprotected skin or eyes. Prolonged skin contact can cause illness or injury.
Eye contact can cause serious injury. Always wear chemical protective gloves
and goggles when handling hydraulic fluid, engine oil, and cleaning solvents.
Failure to follow these precautions can result in illness or serious injury.
Cleaning solvent is flammable and its vapor is potentially explosive. Do not use
cleaning solvent in the vicinity of spark, open flame, or excessive heat. Do not
use cleaning solvent in unventilated spaces. Failure to follow these precautions
can result in death or serious injury.
There are two types of membrane cleaner; alkali and acid. Alkali is most effective on
biofouling, and is generally used first. Acid is effective on mineral fouling (e.g. calcium),
but is generally only used if the alkali fails to restore product water flow rates.
5. Fill a clean bucket with about two gallons of fresh water, and add the full contents of the cleaning solution
6. Mix and thoroughly dissolve the cleaning solution in the bucket.