OPERATOR AND UNIT MAINTENANCE
FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR (FUEL TRANSFER SYSTEM) FOR
INLAND AND COASTAL LARGE TUG (LT)
PURPOSE AND USE OF PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECKS AND SERVICES (PMCS) DATA
PMCS is performed to keep the fuel filter/water separator in operating condition. The checks are used to find,
correct, and report problems so that defects may be discovered and corrected. PMCS is to be accomplished
each day the fuel filter/water separator is operated using the appropriate work packages. Pay attention to all
WARNINGS, CAUTIONS, and NOTES that precede individual steps. WARNINGS indicate possible danger to
personnel. CAUTIONS indicate possible damage to equipment. NOTES are for clarification and additional
information. An explanation is prepared for each PMCS check entry, and for any general checks and services
common to an entire piece of equipment or system. An explanation of PMCS chart columns follows:
ITEM NUMBER COLUMN
The checks and services are numbered within a specific work package in chronological order.
This column indicates the periodicity of the check or service.
1. Before operating the fuel filter/water separator do Before PMCS.
2. During fuel filter/water separator operation, do During PMCS.
3. After fuel filter/water separator operation, do After PMCS.
4. Once a week do Weekly PMCS.
5. Do Monthly PMCS once a month. If equipment has not been operated in a month, also do During PMCS at
the same time as Monthly PMCS.
6. Do Quarterly PMCS once a quarter. If the equipment has not been operated in a quarter, also do After PMCS
at the same time as Quarterly PMCS.
7. Do Semiannual PMCS once every six months. If the equipment has not been operated within the last six
months, also do the Monthly PMCS at the same time as Semiannual PMCS.
8. Do Annual PMCS once a year.
9. If a deficiency is noted when performing PMCS, fix it, if possible, using troubleshooting procedures and/or
maintenance procedures. If the deficiency cannot be corrected, write up the items not fixed on DA Form
2404 for unit maintenance. For further information on how to use this form, see DA PAM 738-750.
This column indicates the projected amount of time that is expected to take to complete the check or service.
Checks and services that require additional personnel include a cumulative amount of time.
ITEM TO BE CHECKED OR SERVICED
This column lists the equipment or item to be checked or serviced.