t. When all is in order, obtain permission from dock personnel to increase discharge rate.
u. With permission granted, increase engine speed approximately fifty percent.
t least one crew member must be in constant attendance on deck at all times to observe the unloading
hile discharging, tank levels may be checked through ullage openings. Always replace screen after
v. Use the following procedure for unloading a full, unmixed load.
The unloading and stripping procedure is largely a matter of choice and personal experience and may also
be affected by exceptional conditions. The procedure outline which follows is recommended for the
unloading of a full, unmixed cargo under normal conditions.
(1) Commence unloading tanks 1 thru 4.
(2) If all is in order, allow valves to tanks 1 and 2 to remain wide open. Throttle down valves to tanks 3 and 4
just enough so that these tanks will be from 1/2 to 3/4 full when tanks 1 and 2 are empty.
During unloading, valves must be also adjusted to maintain the vessel on an even keel.
(3) When tanks 1 and 2 are nearly empty (approximately six inches remaining), close valves to tanks 2, 3, and
4. Throttle down valve to tank 1.
(4) When the sucking of air is heard from tank 1, close valve to tank 1. Throttle open valve to tank 4 to prime
pump. Throttle open valve to tank 1 until air is heard again. Repeat as often as necessary to strip the tank.
(5) Use the same procedures and unload and strip tank 2. Use the cargo in tank 3 to prime the pump.
(6) Close valves to tanks 1 and 2. Repeat the unloading operations and unload tanks 3 and 4 using tanks 5 and
6 to prime the pump.
(7) Close valves to tanks 3 and 4. Set valve to tank 6 wide open.