e. Starting the Multifuel Engine (+20F. to +115F. ).
(1) Apply parking brake by pulling
handbrake lever (4) up. Turn knob at end of
handle, as required, to adjust tension on
brake cable before applying parking brake.
(2) Place transmission gearshift
lever (1) in N (neutral) position.
( 3 ) On trucks equipped with a
transfer power takeoff, place power takeoff
control lever (5) in disengaged position.
(4) On wreckers equipped with a transfer power divider, place power divider control
handle (2) in DISENGAGED position and set the lock (3).
(5) On dump truck, place dump body control lever (2) in NEUTRAL position and set
the lock (3).
(6. Turn batterv. switch (8) to ON position.
(7) Depress clutch pedal (7) and hold
down while starting engine.
(8) Check for hydrostatic lock by
pulling out engine stop control knob (9)
while pushing starter button (10) in for two
to three seconds. The following are
indicators of hydrostatic lock:
(a) After listening closely, you feel a
hard thud in the engine as you turn it over.
(b) Engine starts to turn over and
quits with a thunk.
(c) Or engine won't turn over at all.
If you suspect a hydrostatic lock, stop cranking immediately. Turn battery switch (8) to
OFF position. Notify organizational maintenance.
(9) If hydrostatic lock is not detected, release engine stop control knob (9) (push it in).
Do not operate starter longer than 10 seconds. If engine fails to start immediately,
allow a 2 minute cool off period before operating starter again.
(10) Push starter button (10) in and depress accelerator pedal (6) slightly. Release starter
button when engine starts.