d. Towing Disabled Truck on Highway
(1) Adjust towbar (3) to fully
collapsed length by removing pins (6) and
sliding bar together. Replace pins (6).
(2) Remove both lifting shackles from
shackle brackets (5) and attach towbar (3)
to shackle brackets (5) on disabled truck and
pintle hook (4) on tow truck.
(3) Connect tow chains (2) between
disabled truck and tow truck for safety, in
case the tow bar breaks or becomes
Be sure to connect service airbrake hose to service coupling and emergency air
brake hose to emergency coupling on both trucks.
(4) Connect air hose between service
coupling (7) at left rear of tow truck and
service coupling under right front fender of
(5) Connect air hose to emergency
coupling at right rear of tow truck and
emergency coupling under left front fender
of disabled truck.
(6) Open airline cutoff cocks (8) on
both disabled truck and tow truck.
(7) Place gearshift lever (9) and
transfer shift lever (11) in N (neutral)
(8) Release handbrake (10)
ready to tow.