e. Operation of Deep Water Fording Kit.
(1) General. The deep water fording kit increases vehicle hard bottom fording ability
from 30 to 78 inches. The engne, engine flywheel, and other components are pressurized to
keep out water, and the air intake on the air cleaner is extended upward (4). The alternator is
neither waterproofed nor vented. It will stop charging while under water, and begin to charge
upon leaving the water.
(2) Make sure the air intake extension (4) is snu
(3) Tighten fuel tank filler cap(s) securely.
(4) Make sure battery filler caps are all present
(5) Secure all loose objects on vehicle.
On gas models, remove flywheel housing
drain plug (6) from storage boss and install it
in the drain port (5). Plug is stored in map
compartment on diesel and gasoline models.
On tractor wrecker models, also remove pipe
plugs from storage near the crane oil
reservoir and replace breather caps on oil
reservoir (8) and crane swing motor (7) with
the plugs. Tighten them securely to prevent
water from entering. In the same way, install
pipe plug on the bottom of base plate pivot
post and ring gear (not shown).
TA 0962 16