Remove flywheel housing drain plug (7)
from drain port (6) and secure it in storage
boss (as shown).
(9) As soon as possible after fording,
have vehicle serviced by organizational
Salt water fording causes rust, especially on unpainted surfaces. Remove all salt
water and salt deposits from every part of vehicle Components should be
disassembled, dried, and relubricated as soon as possible.
(10) After fording, wheel bearings must be disassembled and repacked. Deliver vehicle to
direct support maintenance as soon as possible, regardless of other maintenance done.
f. Operation of Electric Brake Kit.
(1) General. The electric brake kit is
designed for trailer or semitrailer prime
(2) The rheostat control handle (9) on
the steering column is turned to the proper
numerical setting on the data plate (8).
(3) The setting is determined by the towed load. The lighter the load, the lower the
setting. The heavier the load, the higher the setting.
(4) Electric brakes on the towed load operate ONLY when service brakes on towing
vehicle are applied. Moving the rheostat cent rol handle (9) only changes the setting.
Test your brakes for proper setting before going on the road with a trailer or
semitrailer. The exact rheostat setting required for any given load must be
determined by experience.