2-48. DEEP WATER FORDING (M1113, M1151, AND M1152)
(11) Ensure oil dipstick, transmission dipstick, oil filler cap, and fuel tank cap
(12) Secure all loose objects on vehicle.
(13) Ensure battery caps are all present and tight.
(14) Place transfer case shift lever
in appropriate range (table 1-7).
(15) Turn off all non-essential electrical loads (lights, heater/defroster, A/C fan).
(16) Place fording selector switch (1) in DEEP FORD position prior to entering
(17) Pull out hand throttle (2) until desired engine speed is obtained. Twist
hand throttle (2) to lock in position.
(18) Open driver and passenger windows.
c. During Operation.
(1) Enter water slowly and maintain even vehicle speed, 5 mph (8 kph)
(2) Exit water in area with gentle slope.
(3) Place fording selector switch (1) in VENT position after leaving water.
After fording, do not use the hand throttle as an automatic speed or
cruise control. The hand throttle does not automatically disengage
when brake is applied, resulting in increased stopping distances and
possible hazardous and unsafe operation. Injury to personnel or
damage to equipment may result.
(4) Unlock and push in hand throttle (2).