a. Removing Spare Tire.
(1) With wheel nut wrench, loosen two safety
nuts which secure the studs of the pickup
member in the main member.
(2) Rotate the tire slightly to free the studs
from the slots.
Maintain a firm grip on wrench in
lowering tire to prevent injury.
(3) Fit the wheel nut wrench on the operating
shaft, lift the pawl, and permit the tire to
lower itself on its cable to the ground.
(4) Remove the safety nuts and release pickup
member from the hub opening in the wheel.
b. Installing Tire.
(1) Insert the pickup member in the hub opening and fit the securing studs in two stud holes in the
(2) Screw the safety nuts loosely on the studs.
Place the pawl on ratchet when lifting spare tire to prevent injury.
(3) With the wheel nut wrench, rotate the operating shaft clockwise to lift the wheel and pickup
member until the studs and nuts pass through the holes in the main member.
(4) Rotate the studs in the slots and anchor in place by tightening the safety nuts.