4-59. LANDING LEG (THOMAS) (Cont)
(6) position oil reservoir (29) and stop on operating nut. Aline holes and insert two retaining pins (11).
Insert this entire assembly into lower leg (12).
(7) Position adapter collar (2) on upper leg (13) and insert lower leg (12) into upper end of upper leg,
and through collar. Use care in passing end of lower leg through collar so as not to displace sealing
felt (1) in collar.
(8) Slide operating screw and attached parts into lower leg until seal is seated.
(9) position gear box (fig. 4-55) and secure entire assembly with tie rod and 3/4-10NF-2 nut, 3/4-16
NF-3 X 2-3/4 screw and 3/4 Iockwashers.
(1) Position leg by inserting shaft extending from gear box of leg through opening in semitrailer frame
and into end of connecting shaft between legs. Match holes in leg gear box with holes in semi-
trailer frame and insert seven 1/2-20NF-2 X 1-3/4 cap screws, 1/2 Iockwashers and 1/2-20NF-2
(3) Aline hole in connecting shaft between legs and hole in gear shaft extending from gear box and in
insert two 3/8-24NF-3 X 2 cap screws. Screw on 3/8-24NF-3 locknuts and tighten by hand. Aline-
ment of these holes can be affected by turning shaft with crank.
Make certain that legs are extended equally before holes are alined and screw
inserted. This can be checked by measurment between axle and fittings at
lower end of outer legs.
(4) Attach ends of leg brace and adjustable brace rod to leg with 3/4-16NF-2X 2 screws, 3/4 lock-
washers, and 3/4-16NF-2 nuts. Tighten nuts on cap screws which secure gear box to frame.
Tighten locknut on connecting shaft and gear shaft. Tighten nuts on screws attaching rod and
brace to frame.
(5) Remove jacks and blocking.
(6) Fill oil reservoir with proper lubricant (figs. 4-1 and 4-2).
The key numbers shown below in parentheses refer to figure 4-58.
. . Disassembly.
(1) Remove four capscrews (1) and Iockwashers (2) securing cover (3); lift off cover taking care that
bearing assembly (4) does not fall out.
(2) Withdraw screw drive shaft (7) and connected parts.
(3) Remove ball bearing assembly (12) and bearing adjusting shim (13) from gear box housing (14)
and ball bearing assembly from gear box cover (3).
(4) Slide off bearing sleeves (5 and 11).
(5) Pull off gear (10) which is secured with woodruff key (8) and remove two snap rings (6 and 9).