(1) Model M127.
Brakes. Replace damaged or worn parts. If excessive wear of anchor pin (12) and bushing
(24) is apparent, replace bushing and/or anchor pin and burnish bushing to tolerance speci-
fied in para. 5-18. If braking surface of lining is near heads of rivets, replace lining (see(b)
below). If backing plate (3) is bent, carefully straighten plate. Repaint if chipped or cracked
paint or bare metal is found.
Do not grind rivet heads off due to asbestos hazard.
1. Remove 16 tubular rivets (19) from each lining (18) and strip lining from shoe.
2. If excessive wear has been found between shoe and anchor pin, drive out bushing (24).
3. If excessive wear has been found or if camshaft follower roller (22) is damaged, remove
setscrew (23) securing roller pin (21) in shoe. Drive out roller pin and remove camshaft
4. Position new camshaft follower roller (22) in opening in shoe. Aline holes in shoe and
roller and install roller pin (21). Secure roller pin in shoe with setscrew (23).
5. Using an arbor press, press bushing (24) into shoe. Burnish bushing to tolerance given in
6. Install new lining (18) on both brake shoes.
7. Aline the end rivet holes in brake shoe (20) and lining and clamp lining in place with
8. Install the end tubular rivets (19) in lining. Remove clamp and install 15 remaining tubular
9. After relining brake shoes, check contact of lining with shoe after riveting. A 0.010-inch
feeler gage should not enter between shoe and Iining at any point. Brake lining should be
ground concentric with drum center with suitable grinder after installation on axle.
(a) Remove 16 tubular rivets from each lining and strip lining from shoe.
(b) Install new lining on both brake shoes.
(c) After religning brake shoes, check riveting. A 0.010-inch feeler gage should not enter
between shoe and lining at any point. Brake lining should be ground concentric with drum
center with suitable grinder after installation on axle.
e . Assembly.
(a) Position anchor pin bracket (4) on backing plate (3) and secure with four 3/8 X 1-1/8 rivets.
(b) Drive anchor pins (12) into backing plate (3) and through bracket (4) and secure each with
a 3/4 hex nut (10) and a 3/4 Iockwasher (9).
Position camshaft mounting bracket (5) on backing plate (3) and secure with four 1/2 X
1-5/8 rivets (6).
(d) Position backing plate assembly (1) against outer surface of flange of axle. A line holes and
secure with ten 9/1 6 X 1-5/8 rivets (11).