EXPLANATION OF COLUMNS (SECTIONS II AND III) - CONTINUED.
XC - Installation drawing, diagram, Instruction sheet, field service drawing, that is identified by manufacturer's part
XD - Item is not stocked. Order an "XD"-coded Item through normal supply channels using the CAGE and part number
given, if no NSN is available.
(2) Maintenance Code, Maintenance codes tell you the level(s) of maintenance authorized to use and repair
support items The maintenance codes are entered in the third and fourth positions of the SMR code as follows
(a) The maintenance code entered In the third position tells you the lowest maintenance level authorized to
remove, replace, and use an item. The maintenance code entered In the third position will indicate
authorization to one of the following levels of maintenance
- Crew or operator maintenance done within unit maintenance or aviation unit maintenance.
- Unit maintenance or aviation unit can remove, replace, and use the Item
- Direct support or aviation Intermediate level can remove, replace, and use the item
- General support level can remove, replace, and use the Item
- Specialized repair activity can remove, replace, and use the item
- Depot level can remove, replace, and use the Item
Some limited repair may be done on the Item at a lower level of maintenance, If authorized by the
Maintenance Allocation Chart (MAC) and SMR codes.
(b) The maintenance code entered in the fourth position tells whether or not the item is to be repaired and
Identifies the lowest maintenance level with the capability to do complete repair (i.e., perform all
authorized "Repair" functions). This position will contain one of the following maintenance codes,
O- Unit maintenance or aviation unit is the lowest level that can do complete repair of the item.
F- Direct support or aviation intermediate Is the lowest level than can do complete repair of the item
H- General support Is the lowest level that can do complete repair of the Item.
L- Specialized repair activity is the lowest level that can do complete repair of the item.
D- Depot is the lowest level that can do complete repair of the Item
Z- Nonreparable. No repair Is authorized
B- No repair is authorized (No parts or special tools are authorized for the maintenance of a "B"-coded Item )
However, the item may be reconditioned by adjusting, lubricating, etc , at the user level
Change 1 F-3