Caged spring in bottom chamber is under 2,500 lbs of
tension. Use extreme care when performing
Do not position yourself in front of, or in line with
the spring brake assembly. Perform necessary
maintenance from the side.
Read all manufacturer's warning labels before uncaging.
Inspect clamp bands, castings, and fasteners for
external damage. If damage to these items is evident,
do not attempt uncaging procedure. Refer to para. 4-40
for removal instructions.
Failure to observe this warning could result in serious
personal injury and damage to equipment.
(1) Turn adjusting nut (1, fig. 4-37) on slack adjuster (2) counterclockwise to
release spring forces.
(2) Tag and disconnect air lines from multi-function and emergency relay
(3) Tag and disconnect two air lines (3) from spring brake chamber (8).
(4) Remove cotter pin (4) and clevis pin (5).
Remove clevis from slack
(5) Remove two nuts (6) and two washers (7).
(6) Remove spring brake chamber (8).
(1) Install spring brake chamber (8, fig. 4-37) in position.
(2) Install two washers (7) and two nuts (6).
(3) Position clevis on slack adjuster (2) and install clevis pin (5) and cotter
(4) Connect air lines (3) to spring brake chamber (8).
(5) Connect air lines to the multi-function and emergency relay valves.
(6) Close drain cocks on air reservoirs and pressurize air brake system.