(1) Install ten studs (19, fig. 4-43) with short side from shoulder facing in
the hub (11).
(2) Install hub (11) on brake drum (12).
M871A1 semitrailer only.
(3) Secure hub (11) and brake drum (12) with ten lockwashers (17) and nuts
(4) Using soft durable item, install inner bearing cup (15) and outer bearing
cup (10) in hub (11).
(5) Install new seal ring (16) on spindle, if removed.
(6) Pack inner bearing cone (14) with grease per lubrication chart (fig. 3-l).
Install inner bearing cone (14) and new grease seal (13) in hub (11) if
(7) Install assembled hub (11) and brake drum (12) on axle spindle.
(8) Pack outer bearing cone (9) with grease per lubrication chart (fig. 3-l).
Install outer bearing cone (9).
(1) Install inner nut (8, fig. 4-43) with locking guide pin out and torque to
75 lb ft (103 Nm) while rotating hub and drum assembly. Back off one turn
and repeat 75 lb ft (103 Nm) torque. Back off 1/4 turn.
The tongue washer (6) is on the
M871 semitrailer only.
Be sure lockwasher hole (7) and
the locking guide pin
on the inner nut (8) mate. The
lockwasher may have to
be turned over or the inner nut
moved slightly to fit
properly. Be sure to bend tabs
down on tongue washer.
(2) Install lockwasher (7), tongue washer (6) and axle nut (5). Tighten outer
nut to 150-200 lb ft (204-272 Nm).
(3) Install new gasket (4).
(4) Install hub cap (3).
Secure with six washers (2) and six screws (l).
(6) Remove axle supports.
TASK ENDS HERE