(2) Turn the slack adjuster nut (1, fig. 5-1) on the slack adjuster (2)
counterclockwise to release spring forces. Repeat for other side of axle.
(3) Tag and disconnect air hoses from the emergency relay and multi-function
(4) Tag and disconnect air hoses from front spring brake chambers.
(5) Remove four nuts (1, fig. 5-3), washers (2) and bolts (3). Repeat for
other side of axle.
(6) Remove four nuts (4), washers (5) and two u-bolts (6). Repeat for other
side of axle.
(7) Remove spring cap (7) from each side of axle. Slowly lower and remove
Repair of the axles is limited to chasing spindle threads.
(For new axles only)
--xle Seat Installation.
This procedure is to be used only when a new axle is
being installed. If old axle is being installed,
follow procedures for front or rear axle installation.
When ordering new axle, you must also order the lower
adjustment plates and spring seats. Two sets
(adjustment plate and lower spring seat) are required
2) at the factory, and the other set ordered
installing two new axles, the prewelded adjustment
plates and spring seats must be installed on opposite
corners (example: Left-Rear and Right-Front).
(1) With axle camber up, locate the center of both axles by measuring between
the brake flanges and marking the center.
(2) Place axles in position under suspension. Be certain axle seats are an
equal distance from the center of the axle. All axle seats should measure
the same distance from the brake flanges.
(3) Align the camber marks on the top of the axle with the centerline of the