(5) Install two u-bolts (6), four washers (5) and nuts (4). Torque to 300 lb
ft (408 Nm). Repeat for other side of axle.
(6) Install four bolts (3), washers (2) and nuts (l). Torque to 180 lb ft (244
Nm) . Repeat for other side of axle.
(7) Connect air hoses to rear spring brake chambers.
(8) Install hose separators (4, fig. 5-2) on air hoses (5).
(9) Install air hose (5) in hose clamp (2). Secure hose clamp (2) to
suspension support bracket (3) with screw (l). Repeat for other three hose
(10) Connect air hoses to the emergency relay and multi-function valves.
(14) Remove axle and frame supports.
g. Axle Aliqnment.
This procedure is to be used only when a new axle is
(1) Measure the distance from the kingpin to the centerline of the spindles on
the front axle (fig. 5-6). The measurement should be 240 - 7/8" l/8
(2) Tighten u-bolts and spring cap bolts on front axle.
(3) Align rear axle with the front axle by measuring between the spindles.
measurement should be 50 - 1/2" 1/8 inch.
(4) Tighten rear axle u-bolts and spring cap bolts.
(5) Recheck the alignment of the front axle with the kingpin and the rear axle
with the front axle.
Wear welding mask, gloves, and apron when welding or
using cutting torch. Failure to wear adequate
protective clothing may result in serious injury.