(3) Preheat kingpin and bolster plate to 150F (66C), and maintain temperature
throughout the welding process.
(4) Weld the kingpin "mushroom" to the bolster plate with 1/4 inch fillet weld
two inches long at four equally spaced points on the edge of the flange and
plug weld the holes in the "mushroom". Welds are to be in accordance with
MIL-STD-1261, class 3. Use 100,000 psi electrode or wire of the following
specification: electrodes, mineral coated, low hydrogen, MIL-E-2200/6 type
MIL-10015 or MIL-10016. Wire, use bare solid wire, low alloy steel, MIL-E-
23765/2 type 100S-1, 100S-2 or 110S-1.
(5) Inspect weld with dye penetrant or magnetic particle inspection. No cracks
are allowable and any cracks found must be repaired.
(6) Prime and paint the top of the kingpin and bolster plate as follows: Prime,
per TT-P-636 or TT-P-634. Paint with enamel per MIL-E-52798.
(7) Replace middle metal plate that was removed to gain access to the top of
TASK ENDS HERE
MAINTENANCE OF THE SUSPENSION
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit and common supplement II