1 - 8 . LOCATION AND CONTENTS OF DATA PLATES (Con't).
This paragraph describes the differences between the four trailer models covered in this manual.
(1) Differences between the XM1061 and M1061A1 are due to the longer bed of the M1061A1 and to
(2) Differences between the XM979 and XM1061, which are the same length, are due to the odometer on
(3) The XM1073 can transport a 7-ton (6810 kg) payload; due to its increased payload capacity, it has
a heavier suspension.
b. Brake System. The brake systems of the four trailers are designed to handle different types of missions
and use different towing vehicles to suit these missions.
(1) The XM979 and XM1061 have an inertia brake system which allows the trailers to be towed by
tracked vehicles and an air/hydraulic brake system that applies the trailer brakes when the service brakes of the towing
vehicle are applied.
(2) The M1061A1 has an air/hydraulic brake system and may be supplied with the inertia brake system.
(3) The XM1073 handbrake levers apply brakes on both front and rear axles.