APU STARTUP AND SHUTDOWN (CONT)
Do not subject the APU to any load until it has warmed up properly, or premature
failure may occur and life of the engine may be shortened.
(11) Allow APU to run at least 3 to 5 minutes s8 that it will warm up properly.
(12) Reduce engine speed to idle by pushing inward on throttle control (11). APU is ready for normal operation.
(13) Whenever operations permit, allow APU to run continuously for at least 30 minutes to recharge APU battery.
For example, when APU is started for PMCS, let it run until all PMCS tasks are completed. This is especially
(a) The semitrailer has been stored and APU has not been started for several days.
(b) The weather is cold.
b. To shutdown APU, proceed as follows:
(1) Push in throttle control (11) completely to stop APU.
(2) Ensure low oil pressure indicator light (14) and glow plug indicator (13) are not lit. Close cover (9) to APU
control box (10).
Steps (3), (4), and (5) below apply only if semitrailer is to be aced in extended
(short or long term) storage.
(3) At rear of gooseneck, gain access to APU (6) as follows:
(a) At rear of gooseneck (2), unhook step retainer (4) and raise step section (5) up and forward.
(b) Secure by hooking top step retainer (4) to strap on step section (5).
(4) Turn fuel petcock (8) counterclockwise to closed position.
(5) Unhook strap and lower step section (5) to normal position. Secure in place by hooking step retainer (4) to
catch on fixed bottom step section.