TRACTOR/SEMITRAILER COUPLING/UNCOUPLING (CONT)
Prior to moving the tractor from under gooseneck, place the gooseneck isolation
valve handle in the ADJUST position, handle pulled outward, or personal injury
and damage to equipment may result.
(9) Pull out handle of gooseneck isolation valve (6) as far as possible to ADJUST position.
(10) Loosen steering wedge adjusting nut (10) one full turn until lockwasher behind nut is no longer compressed.
If tractor fifth wheel lock handles cannot be moved to the release position, set
semitrailer parking brakes and move the tractor rearward against the semitrailer to
release pressure on fifth wheel locking mechanism.
(11) If necessary, have tractor operator back tractor against semitrailer and have a spotter unlock both tractor fifth
wheel locks (5).
All spotters and ground personnel around the tractor/semitrailer must stand clear
of the vehicles during uncoupling or injury to personnel may result.
(12) Signal operator to release tractor parking brakes and slowly drive forward approximately 1 foot (0.3m) until
kingpin (1) is in yea entry (3) of tractor fifth wheel (4).
(13) Raise gooseneck (para. 2-18) until it is approximately 3 inches (7.6 cm) above fifth wheel (4).
(14) Have operator drive tractor out from under semitrailer gooseneck.
(16) Push in gooseneck isolation valve handle (6) to RUN position. Be sure valve handle is pushed in as far as
(17) Push in suspension shut-off valve handle (7) to SHUT-OFF position. Be sure valve handle is pushed in as far