ARCTIC WEATHER APU STARTING (CONT)
While using the swingfire heater, the heater must be moved (played) back and forth
in a constant motion and kept within 7 to 10 inches (17 to 25 cm) from the bottom
of the APU crankcase or damage to equipment may result.
Do not allow swingfire heater to sit in one spot. Heat any hydraulic lines or diesel
fuel line, or heat electrical wiring that may be in the general area of the APU. Use
caution when operating swingfire heater such that only the APU crankcase is
directly heated or severe damage to equipment may result.
(1) Preheat APU crankcase by keeping nozzle of swingfire heater approximately 7 to 10 inches (17 to 25 cm)
away from bottom of crankcase and continually moving nozzle back and forth for a minimum of 15 minutes.
(2) Proceed with step e below.
e. If heating was performed using swingfire heater, gain access to APU by raising step section (para. 2-13, step c).
f. If outside temperature is above 25F (31C), proceed to step g below. If outside temperature is between 25F
to 50F (-31C to 46C), proceed as follows:
(1) Open decompression valve by pulling up and holding on decompression valve handle (3).
(2) Second person must open cover to APU control box (4), turn APU START switch (5) to START position, and
hold for approximately 2 minutes or until APU is cranking over at normal cranking speed, and then release
APU START switch (5).
(3) With jet start petcock (6) closed, prime jet start valve (7) by pulling full out. Ensure that it stays out.
On APU with APU engine serial number 504697 and subsequent, the glow plug
indicator is changed from a glow-type indicator to a lamp driven by a timer.
(4) Second person must turn knob of APU throttle control (8) counterclockwise until fully outward. Second
person must turn APU START switch (5) to GLOW position and hold until glow plug indicator (glow type) (9)
illuminates brightly (15 to 20 seconds) or until glow plug indicator (lamp) (9) goes out (5 seconds).
2-208 Change 1