11-19. METALLIC WHIP ANTENNA REPLACEMENT; LONG WIRE ANTENNA
This procedure gives instructions for the construction of a long wire antenna for use
with the auxiliary receiver if the auxiliary antenna is broken or has been diverted for
q Cannot be used for transmission
q Reduction in reception
q 1 soldier
q 5 minutes
q Cable, telephone, WD-l/TT 8-foot length
q Tape, electrical
Do not use this antenna for transmission. It could damage
the radio equipment.
1. Strip approximately two inches of insulation from both leads on one end of the
2. Attach one bare lead to a screw on the R-442 auxiliary receiver.
3. Attach the other bare lead to the center of the antenna connection on the receiver
by bending the wire double and jamming it into the hole.
4. Tape or tie the wire to the antenna connector to prevent it from being pulled or
vibrated out of the hole.
Throw the loose end of the wire out the loader's hatch.
6. Record the BDAR action taken. When the mission is completed, as soon as
practicable, repair vehicle using standard maintenance procedures.