BACK GEAR AND ECCENTRIC SHAFT
9", 10K, 10" and 14" lathes only
I. TO DISASSEMBLE:
1. Remove items A and B (Fig. 1).
2. Loosen screw C (Fig. 2).
3. Remove items D thru I (Fig. 2) in alphabetical order.
II. TO REASSEMBLE:
1. Replace items H and I. (Be sure gears are free of dirt, chips, and nicks.)
2. Replace item G and pin with item F
3. Replace item E, locating the point of the screw in slot of eccentric shaft bushing J and replace nut D.
III. ADJUSTING BACK GEARS:
1. Engage back gears using eccentric shaft lever K and allow mating gears to bottom. Then back off back gears
until you feel a slight rock between mating gears and tighten set screw E. Tighten screw C so tension on bushing
C is enough to hold gears in mesh on heavy cuts, but not so tight that the eccentric shaft lever K is hard to
operate. Make final adjustment by allowing, lathe to run for a few minutes. If there is an abnormal amount of
noise such as a gear rattling noise the gear clearance is too great, adjust by slightly unscrewing set screw E. If it
seems to be a howling noise, the gear clearance is insufficient. Adjust by screwing in slightly set screw E. When
proper gear clearance is obtained, lock set screw E with nut D.
1. Remove plug L and fill with teflon grease. Use CE1625 or equal.