a. Removal Remove the coil assembly in accordance with the following instructions: (See figure 5-7).
(1) Disconnect wiring harness plug from receptacle.
(2) Remove nut and data plate from top of coil assembly, and lift off coil assembly.
b. Installation. If electrical connector is serviceable, transfer it to a new coil assembly, and install the coil
assembly on the solenoid valve as follows:
(1) Place coil assembly over tube and plunger assembly. and position data plate on coil assembly. Secure
(2) Retest plunger operation by applying 24.28 volts dc topins A and B of receptacle. If no click is heard,
replace the tube and plunger assembly. diaphragm and O-ring, or if valve body is damaged, replace the entire valve as-
If a click is heard when 24-28 volts
dc is applied
to the solenoid
coil, connect the wiring harness electri-
5.50. Valve Replacement
If it is necessary to replace the tube and plunger assembly, diaphragm and O-ring, or the entire valve. proceed as directed
in the following procedure:
a. Disassembly. Disassemble the solenoid valve as follows:
All gas must be discharged from the refrigeration system before the system is opened for mainte-
(1) Remove five screws from the fresh hair screen, and remove the screen to gain access to the refrigeration
to figure 5-8 for identification
of service valves. Discharge the system
in accordance with para-
(4) When refrigerant is completely discharged from the system, remove the two screws that fasten the tube
and plunger assembly to the body. Remove tube and plunger assembly, O-ring and diaphragm, and discard.
(5) If valve body is serviceable install replacement parts. If valve body is warped or is othewise unservice-
able, connect acylinder of dry nitrogen to the discharge service valve, and establish a flow of 1-2cfm (0.1 - 0.2 M3 /min)
through the system. Debraze the valve body from the refrigerant tubing.
(6) Remove two mounting screws attaching the valve body to the mounting bracket. Remove the solenoid
b. Assembly. If valve body was removed, install new body, secure to mounting bracket with two screws, and
attach piping connections to body, disassembled from remainder of valve. Proceed as follows:
(1) Wrap the body be tween the tubing connection in wet cloth, and start a 1-2cfm (0.1 -0.2 M 3/min) flow of
dry nitrogen through the system. Braze connections. When cool, remove cloth and continue assembly.
(2) Install O-ring in groove in tube and plunger assembly, and place diaphragm in recess in valve body with
the metal buffer plate and seat on top.