2-20. OPERATION IN DUSTY OR SANDY CONDITIONS. Dusty or sandy conditions can seriously reduce the efficiency
of the air conditioner by clogging the air filters which will restrict the volume of air flow. Accumulation of dust or sand in
the condenser coil and/or in the compressor compartment of the air conditioner may cause overheating of the refrigeration
system. Dust or sand may also clog the condensate trap and water drain lines. When operating the air conditioner and
generator set in these dusty and sandy conditions, perform the following steps.
a. Air Conditioner.
Never operate the air conditioner without having the air filters in place.
(a) Shield the air conditioner from dust as much as possible.
(b) Take advantage of any natural barriers which offer protection.
(c) Roll down and secure the fabric cover on the back of the cabinet during periods of shutdown.
(a) Keep the air conditioner as clean as possible.
(b) Pay particular attention to the outside grills, condenser, filters, mist eliminator, and electrical
(c) In extreme conditions, daily cleaning of condenser, filters, and outside grills may be necessary.
b. Generator Set.
(1) Clean generator set frequently.
(2) Service air cleaner frequently. Check air restriction indicator daily. If red signal is visible, service the air
cleaner. Be certain that all air cleaner and intake manifold connections do not leak. Be certain oil filler cap fits snugly.
(3) Change crankcase oil and oil filter frequently.
(4) Store oil and fuel in dust-free containers.
(5) Make sure that generator set ground connection is free of dust and sand and connectio ns are tight before
starting the unit.
(1) Frequently inspect and clean moving parts when operating in sandy or dusty areas.
(2) Have your trailer lubricated frequently.
(3) Wheel bearings should be cleaned and packed by unit maintenance in accordance with the lubrication