5.14 EXPANSION VALVE REPLACEMENT - CONTINUED.
Expansion valve can be damaged by high heat. Be sure to wrap the valve body
with wet rags as instructed to avoid damage to internal components when brazing.
Both expansion valves are identical but must be adjusted differently after
installation for use with the inside or outside coil. A used expansion valve can
have an unknown adjustment setting and should never be reused. Always install a
new expansion valve.
(1) Install expansion valve (1) onto tubing ends. Purge the refrigerant system per paragraph 5.5 and braze
(2) Remove expansion valve (1) end cap and adjust the valve stem for use with the coil it serves as follows.
Inside coil expansion valve to be adjusted 2-1/2 turns clockwise. Outside coil expansion valve to be
adjusted 1-1/2 turns counterclockwise. Install end cap after making adjustment.
(5) Install clamp (5), and secure with screw (4), new lock washer (3), and nut (2).
(6) Slide sensing bulb (7) into clamp (6) then tighten clamp to secure.
(7) Install insulation and secure with ins ulation tape as necessary.
(9) Close and secure cover.