(2) Position air intake grille on the front of the air conditioner. Secure it by turning six cam-lock studs in the
a. Description. The fresh air damper is a door spring-loaded to open, which is closed to any desired degree by a
ball-chain assembly. The ball chain is held at its desired position by a detent washer which accepts the links between balls
in a slot, thereby grabbing the chain by the balls. A coil spring keeps some slack in the chain at all positions except fully
closed. and acts as a snubber to minimize the shock of sudden closing of the damper door.
b. Removal. Remove the damper control chain and snubber spring as follows:
(1) Remove the fresh air screen from the rear surface of the air conditioner. (figure 1-1) and prop the fresh
air damper door closed with a piece of wood or other suitable object.
(2) Unhook the coil spring from the clip which attaches the chain to the door. Drill out rivet, and remove clip,
chain and coil spring.
c. Lubrication. Lubricate the hinge of the fresh air damper door with a few drops of light machine oil. Work the
door back and forth a few times to work the oil into the hinge joints. When the door operates freely, wipe off excess oil
with a cloth or paper towel.
d. Installation. Install and adjust the fresh air damper control chain and spring as directed in the following steps:
(1) Fasten the clip-end of chain assembly to the damper door with a rivet and flat washer.
(2) Hook one end of the coil spring into the hole just above the chain attachment, and attach the remaining
end of the coil spring to the chain between the ninth and tenth balls from the attachment.
(3) Thread the free end of the chain through the hole in the edge of the casing, and lower it into the detent slot.
(4) Thread the free end of the chain through the top of the pendant, and crimp the retaining sleeve over the
last ball on the chain.
(5) Remove the door prop, if still in place, and attach fresh air screen to back of air conditioner with five
(6) Position the air intake grille on the front of the air conditioner, and secure by turning the six cam-lock
a. Description. The mist eliminator is composed of eight double layers of aluminum mesh held between
1/4-inch mesh panels in an aluminum frame. The purpose of the mist eliminator is to trap droplets of condensate water
formed on the evaporator coil, so that they will not be blown into the air conditioned space.
b. Removal. To remove the mist eliminator from the air conditioner for servicing and inspection, perform the
(1) Remove 18 screws and washers from the four edges of the fabric cover, and remove the fabric cover.
(2) Remove 15 screws and packing washers from the top surface of the top panel, and five screws from the
rear flange of the panel. Remove the top panel.
(3) Pry or lift up the mist eliminator at the outer ends of the bottom member of the frame. Slide the mist
eliminator out of channels to remove.