TM 9-2330-373-14 & P
Section III. OPERATION UNDER USUAL CONDITIONS
2-9. COUPLING SEMITRAILER TO TOWING VEHICLE
Be sure all personnel stand clear of towing vehicle and semitrailer during coupling
operations, or serious injury may result.
1. Make certain front platform has been removed
prior to alining towing vehicle with semitrailer.
2. Slowly back towing vehicle into position. Be sure
kingpin (1) is in line with fifth wheel coupler jaws
3. Before kingpin plate (2) starts to ride the
approach ramps (4), check that kingpin plate (2)
is above approach ramps (4).
Ground guide will
assist in raising and
lowering landing gear
legs as required.
4. Adjust height as needed by using landing gear.
Make sure coupler jaws (3) are open.
5. Slowly back towing vehicle until coupler jaws (3)
coupling. You should
not be able to see
wheel and kingpin
plate. If light shows,
realine towing vehicle.
6. Make sure coupling is secure by inching forward.
If coupling is not locked, rock back and forth
slowly until kingpin (1) is locked in fifth wheel (5).