4-82. EMERGENCY VALVE MAINTENANCE (Con't).
Remove four screws (27), star-
washers (32), and retainers (31).
Remove screen (30). Discard
Remove plug (28) and preformed
packing (29). Discard preformed
(10) Remove pilot valve (7) and pre-
formed packing. Remove any re-
sidual fluid from point where pilot
valve was installed. Discard pre-
(11) Remove spring (43) from elbow (42) and lever (44).
(12) Scribe a line on flange of elbow (42), sump plate (40), and valve body (38) to aid in assembly
(13) Remove eight screws (46) and washers (45). Separate elbow (42) from sump plate (40).
(14) Remove sump plate (40) and preformed packings (39 and 41). Discard preformed packings.
(15) Place socket valve (36) in a vise.
Socket valve (36) is spring loaded. Use extreme caution when handling it.
Piston (33) and spring (49) must be compressed during disassembly, then
carefully released. Failure to follow this warning may result in injury to per-
Ensure that even pressure is applied when pushing down on piston (33). If
piston becomes jammed, damage to seal (47) and gray seal retainer cap
(48) may result.
Assistance is required to perform step 16.
(16) Push down on piston (33) and remove nut assembly (50). Release pressure on piston and
remove metering rod (51).