2-2. Mine, Antipersonnel: M16 Series (M16,
c. Boobytrapping. No provision is made for boobytrap-
ping this mine. There are no secondary fuze wells.
M16A1, M16A1 Inert, M16A2) with Fuze,
Mine Antipersonnel: M605 (Figs. 1-2, 2-5,
2-6, and 2-7)
(1) Examine area where mine is emplaced. If it
appears tampered with, do not attempt to disarm it.
a. Casualty Effect and Danger Area.
Destroy in place in accordance with FM 20-32.
(1) Casualty radius is approximately 30 meters.
(2) If reasonably certain mine or area has not been dis-
turbed, clean topsoil from mine carefully; do not
(2) Danger area is 200 meters.
put pressure on mine pressure plate.
(3) When laying these mines in bare or sparsely cov-
(3) Grasp body of mine firmly with one hand and
ered ground, use of tripwires is undesirable, as a soldier
insert safety clip with other hand.
walking erect may see tripwires but is not likely to detect
pressure prongs unless alerted to presence of mines.
(4) With safety clip in place, turn plate with arrow
b. Laying and Arming (procedure applicable for all M16
(5) Remove mine from hole.
(6) Turn mine over and carefully remove detonator
from detonator well. Place detonator in safe place.
(7) Screw plastic shipping plug into detonator well.
MINE, ANTIPERSONNEL, M16A1 INERT
IS A COMPLETELY INERT MINE WITH-
(8) Clean off dirt and grease from body of mine.
OUT ANY EXPLOSIVE COMPONENTS.
IT IS USED FOR TRAINING PURPOSES
(9) Replace mine into original packing and repack det-
ONLY. SINCE THE DIMENSIONS ARE
IDENTICAL WITH THE LIVE MINE,
CARE MUST BE EXERCISED NOT TO
e. Emplacement Life. The following is the calculated
USE ANY LIVE COMPONENTS WITH
emplacement life in various environments (calculated to
(1) Remove mine from packing box and examine. If
mine is dented, cracked, or otherwise damaged, do
Temperature zone - clay soil
(2) Unscrew hexagonal plastic shipping plug from fuze
Temperature zone - sandy soil
well of mine with closed end of fuze wrench M25
Tropic zone - with heavy rainfall
required to disarm mine and move to another loca-