k. Prior to starting engine perform the following steps. (Refer to figure 2-5).
(1) Disengage clutch (1) by pushing down on handle (2).
(2) Open control valve (3) on fuel feed line from fuel tank.
(3) Open control valve (4) on fuel return line from engine to fuel tank.
(4) Set throttle control to approximately 350 rpm.
(5) Move the reset lever (5), located on safety control to the "RUN" position and hold it there. Then move the
reset latch (6) to the "START" position, and release the reset lever.
(6) Insure hydro-start system is pressurized to 3000 psi, if not, operate hand pump (7) until 3000 psi is obtained.
l. Slowly open manual start valve (8) to engage starter pinion to flywheel, then open valve wide open. As soon as
engine starts, close manual start valve (8).
m. As soon as engine starts, check for proper lubricating pressure (30 to 60 psi). When the engine oil pressure
builds up to 30 psi, the reset latch should move to the "RUN" position. If the reset latch does not move to the "RUN"
position within one minute, manually return the reset latch to the "RUN" position, which will trip the automatic safety
control, and shut down the engine. Notify direct support maintenance.
n. DO NOT engage clutch until water coolant temperature reaches 160 (71.1 .
Figure 2-5. Engine Starting Controls.