7-7. BRAKE LINKAGE DAMAGED
Braking and steering is accomplished through mechanical linkage to the control steer
differential. Binding linkage or corroded steering lateral cross-shafts can cause the
brakes to remain locked, or not fully released. This procedure gives the method to
follow if normal repair IS not possible because of lack of time or parts.
q Degraded mobility
q 1 soldier
q 10 to 30 minutes
q Large screwdriver or pry bar
1. Check mechanical linkage beginning with the locking pawl and quadrant on the
a. Open the engine armor door,
b. Raise seats for the M548 and M730.
Check all linkage leading to the steer differential.
3. Pry linkage loose to disengage brakes.
4. If linkage cannot be made to operate freely, pry linkage to fully released position
or disconnect linkage at steer differential.
5. Braking and steering is then accomplished by down-shifting and by use of pivot
6. Record the BDAR action taken. When the mission is completed, as soon as
practicable, repair the vehicle using standard maintenance procedures.