5-28. COMPRESSOR (B1). (Continued).
e. Compressor Replacement.
The compressor is mounted to the cabinet base by four bolts that are
inserted from the underside of the base. In order to remove the
compressor, it is necessary that the entire air conditioner be raised and
placed on blocks of sufficient height to allow for removal of these
bolts from below the base.
(1) Attach an overhead hoist to the lifting fitting (1) on each side of the cabinet, using
a sling and spreader bar.
(2) Raise the cabinet and place it on blocks at least four inches high. Be sure the blocks
do not obstruct the holes in the base through which the compressor mounting bolts must be
(3) Unwrap the insulation from the suction line so that the joint on the compressor is
(5) While purging the system with nitrogen (See para. 5-8), debraze the tubing (See
(6) Remove four nut/washers (2) from top of mounting foot (3) and four shoulder bolts
(4), four flat washers (5), and four rubber washers (6) from underneath cabinet.
(7) Lift or tilt the compressor (7) and remove rubber washer (8) from under each of the
four mounting feet (3).
Acid in sludge can cause burns. If compressor bum out is suspected,
use cm-e when handling compressor to avoid touching compressor
(8) Carefully slide compressor (7) from air conditioner
(9) Check the compressor to see if a motor bum out is indicated.