TM 9-2330-373-1 4-ab
2-10. TOWING THE SEMITRAILER (cont) |
1. In normal operation, the brakes of towing vehicle and semitrailer are applied at the same time when the driver
steps on brake pedal.
2. Brake pressure must be applied gradually and smoothly.
3. Semitrailer brakes may be applied separately by using brake control lever on towing vehicle steering column.
4. On steep down grades or slippery surfaces, semitrailer brakes must be applied before towing vehicle brakes. This
will reduce the possibility of jack-knifing the semitrailer.
1. When towing vehicle and semitrailer are to be parked and left unattended, set parking brake on towing vehicle.
2. Turn off towing vehicle engine before leaving cab.
3. Block semitrailer wheels with wheel chocks.
The assistant driver or another person will act as ground guide to assist and direct driver.
Adjust all rear view mirrors before backing.
When backing, rear of semitrailer will always move to opposite direction of that in which front wheels are turned.
When wheels of towing vehicle are turned to the right, rear of semitrailer will go to the left.
When semitrailer has turned and backing in a straight line is required, turn towing vehicle wheels in the direction
semitrailer is moving. This will slowly bring towing vehicle and semitrailer into a straight line.