Diesel fuel is flammable and diesel fuel vapors can be explosive. Make sure all
work is performed in a well ventilated area. Keep sparks, open flame, and exces-
sive heat away from the work area. Failure to comply with this precaution can
result in death or serious injury.
Avoid prolonged exposure of the skin to diesel fuel. Protective nitrile gloves and
chemical protective goggles must be worn whenever handling diesel fuel or parts
that are saturated with diesel fuel. Failure to comply with this precaution can
result in serious injury.
7. Place several wiping rags around the vent valve (figure 1, item 8) to catch any fuel that escapes during
8. OPEN the vent valve (figure 1, item 8). You should feel light air pressure coming from the vent valve while it
is open. Leave the vent valve OPEN until fuel begins to escape.
9. CLOSE the vent valve (figure 1, item 8) as soon as the fuel begins to escape.
10. Priming is now complete. CLOSE the valve opened in step 6 above and proceed to the Fuel Filter/Water
Separator Operation paragraph later in this work package.
PRIMING USING A FUEL TRANSFER PUMP
Use this priming method only when no fuel tank has a head higher than the vent valve.
This priming method requires use of a fuel transfer pump running in a partially dry con-
dition. Extended running in this condition will result in pump failure.
1. CLOSE valve FO-42 F.O. FLTR / WATER SEP BYPASS COV (figure 1, item 1).
2. CLOSE the upper ball valve (figure 1, item 3) and drain valve (figure 1, item 2).
3. OPEN valves FO-16 F.O. FLTR / WATER SEP INLET COV (figure 1, item 4) and FO-17 F.O. FLTR / WATER
SEP OUTLET COV (figure 1, item 5).
4. OPEN the inlet valve for the desired fuel transfer pump.
a. If fuel transfer pump 1 will be used, OPEN valve FO-6 C.O.V. - F.O. XFER PMP NO.1 SUCTION
(figure 1, item 6).
b. If fuel transfer pump 2 will be used, OPEN valve FO-7 C.O.V. - F.O. XFER PMP NO.2 SUCTION
(figure 1, item 7).
5. Determine which fuel tank will be used to prime the fuel filter/water separator. This could be tank 1S, 1P, 2S,
2C, or 2P.