TM 9-3417-213-14 & P
E. PROCEDURE FOR ELIMINATING SHAKE IN QUILL FEED HAND LEVER
Shake in the quill feed is usually caused by shipping vibration. The proper way to eliminate this
is as follows:
1. Shift the speed range into the direct drive or up position on the back gear lever.
2. Run the spindle speed at approximately 1200 RPM with the quill fully retracted into the head casting.
3. Loosen the three 1/2" nuts which hold the back gear housing (100-009-204) to the top of the head, thus
allowing the back gear and pulley guard assembly to "float".
4. Then by tightening the 1/2" nuts, pref erably the front one first, the back gear assembly will tend to center
itself. (NOTE A little experimenting may have to be done if tightening the front nut first does not eliminate
5. in rare cases, the pulley guard housing could have been shaken out of line from the (100-009-204) back
In this case, the eight 1/4-20 x 7/8 socket heads which hold these two assemblies together will have to be
loosened slightly and the unit allowed to center itself as explained in Step 4.
F. PRO CEDURE FOR CHANGING R-8 PIN 745, 747, 756,757, 847, 856, 857, 760,860, and 887
1. Loosen 10/32 socket set screw on the bottom and read of the quill body.
2. Unscrew the(100-002-972) or(100-002-977) nut from the end of the quill using a spanner wrench with 5/32
or 3/16 lugs.
3. Pull or pry the (100-002-974) brass retainer down over the taper end of the spindle thus exposing the head
of the R-8 pin which can then be pulled out of the spindle.
4. Replace the pin and reassemble in reverse order.
G. PROCE DURE FOR CHANGING HEADS 745,747,845,847,760,860,887
Before loosening all four 5/8" nuts on front of overarm, have a sling on the head to
1. Remove motor from pulley guard for VSD, see Step 5.
2. Remove (010-222-378) tilt shaft which will free up the (056-008-053) Boston worm gear and allow it to fall
free of the overarm.
4. Remove three of the 5/8 hex nuts which hold the 100-009-202) adaptor to the front of the overarm.
5. Then after a hoist or sling is attached around the head or pulley guard, the remaining 5/8 nut may be
loosened. (Caution: The head is then free to fall to either side.)
6. Then pull straight out on the head assembly to clear the (100-004-569) tilt gear and the (100002-904) T
7. Reassemble in reverse order.
H. STEPS TO TAKE TO CHANGE MOTORS ON VARIABLE SPEED HEADS
Speed shift lever set at 4200 RPM.
Remove two 3/8 16 x 1-1/4 hex head cap screws which hold the motor to the pulley guard.
Slide motor as far as possible toward the spindle and work the belt over the motor pulley.
Remove motor from the pulley guard housing.
Remove pulley from defective motor and reassemble in reverse order.
It may be necessary to force the motor pulley flanges apart a little to facilitate slipping the belt over the