TM 9-3417-213-14 & P
2. Chatter or vib ration when cutting.
a. Cause Dirt in spindle taper, causing bad fit between tool holder shank and spindle taper. Remedy
Clean spindle taper and shank of tool holder.
b. Cause Faulty shank on tool holder. Remedy Replace shank or dress off burrs, if due to nicks or
c. Gibs poorly adjusted on slide ways, or dirty. Remedy Adjust as in IV-A.
d. Work improperly clamped to table of machine. Remedy Check for rocking or movement, and correct
by proper clamping.
e. Improper grind on cutting tool. Remedy Replace or re-grind tool.
f. Hard spot at splice of drive belts or worm belts. Remedy Replace belts.
g. Spindle quill worn in quill head. Remedy Tighten quill head lock slightly.
h. Incorrect spindle speed, table feed, or both. Remedy Ordinarily increase spindle speed and/or
increase or decrease feed to break up vibration period. Experiment by using hand feed to feed table.
i. Drive pulleys worn in grooves or loose on shafts. Remedy replace pulleys.
3. Boring or milling out of square or at an angle.
a. Cause Head not properly aligned with table. Remedy Check head for alignment and correct.
b. Work improperly set up; i.e. not square and flat. Remedy Check and re-align work.
4. Failure to hold center distance when locating for boring.
Cause Failure to take back-off tension on lead screw after coming up to indicator reading, causing table
to "creep", or failure to lock up slide ways with same amount of tension after moving table to new
SPARE PARTS RECOMMENDED
SET OF DRIVE BELTS FOR ALL DRIVES; (See Parts List)
Should it become necessary to disassemble certain major elements of the machine the following
suggestions may prove helpful.
A. TO REMOVE VERTICAL SPINDLE PULLEY (Drive Cone Pulley), SPINDLE BEARINGS; AND SPINDLE
2. Remove 6 socket head screws holding drive pulley cartridge #111-212-002 to pulley guard.
holes provided in this part for jack screws if req'd.
3. Lift out drive pulley cartridge (containing drive cone pulley, spindle bearings and spindle bearing support).
4. Remove cartridge bearing lock nut #100-003-000.
5. Put drive pulley cartridge in an arbor press, locating on bottom face of drive cone pulley #111-212-003.
Drive out drive cone pulley hub #111-212-201. This frees drive cone pulley (spindle pulley).
6. Remove cartridge bearing retaining plate #111-212-004 by removing 4 socket head screws.
7. Flip drive pulley cartridge #111-212-002 over on arbor press and drive out spindle bearings.