TM 9-3417-213-14 & P
1. Inspect taper of spindle for cleanliness and freedom from chips of foreign matter. Frequency Each time tool
holder is inserted. Inspection by machine operator. No special equipment required.
2. Inspect and adjust gibs of slide ways. Frequency every 160 hours. More often if looseness is noted by
operator. Inspection and adjustment by machine operator or machine maintenance man. No special
equipment required other than allen wrench. (See gib adjustment instructions item IV-A)
3. Inspect for general cleanliness of machine, paying particular attention to keep dirt and chips from slide
ways. Do not use air to remove such dirt and chips -but wipe off ways or keep them covered. Flood ways
with light oil and work slide movements back and forth to wash out foreign matter. Then re-lubricate
machine according to lubrication instructions. Frequency Constantly, as far as wiping off chips and dirt are
concerned. Every 40 hours ways should be flooded with oil and cleaned as above. No special equipment
4. Inspect drive belts for wear, hard spots at splice, etc.
Frequency Every 40 hours.
Inspection by machine operator or machine maintenance man.
No special equipment required.
5. Inspect to see if vertical head is square with table, by mounting indicator on spindle and sweeping table.
Frequency Every 80 120 hours, or after head has been tilted. Inspection by machine operator or machine
maintenance man. Special equipment required consists of (1) A short accurate arbor to insert in spindle.
(2) A clamp for use in clamping a 6" bar to above arbor in a horizontal position. (3) 6" bar approximately
1/2" in diameter. (4) An accurate dial indicator to clamp to above 6" bar in position so when spindle is
revolved by hand, nib of indicator in contact with table, sweeps table in a full circle and indicates out of
Table is intentionally left .0005" high in front.
This will gradually decrease as
machine is used.
6. Inspect electrical equipment. Frequency in accordance with standard plant policy. Inspection by machine
maintenance man. No special equipment required.
B. PARTS REPLACEMENT:
None except as indicated by wear or malfunction.
Frequency or replacement only as above.
C. LUBRICATION (See Lubrication Sheet Page 2)
TROUBLE SHOOTING NOTE
Ordinarily trouble will not manifest itself except when actually working with
1. Slide ways working hard or binding.
a. Cause gibs out of adjustment, either too tight or too loose. In the lattercase causing gib to "wedge".
Remedy Adjust gibs.
b. Cause Dirt in slide ways. Remedy - Wash out slide ways with light oil.