The filter-drier assembly is a metal container which contains dehydrating and filtering media through which the liquid
refrigerant must flow from the condenser coil to the evaporator coil. A new filter-drier must be installed in the system
whenever the system has been opened. The fiter-drier is located above and to the right of the compressor in the lower part
of the air conditioner. It is connected to the refrigerant piping by flare nuts for easy removal and installation.
Obtain access to the filter-drier as directed in the following procedure:
a. Unscrew two panel fastener screws in the upper edge of the lower panel and remove the panel.
b. Dismount the air in take grille by turning the six cam-lock fasteners counter-clockwise. Remove the grille.
c. Remove the control panel assembly as follows:
(1) Disconnect wiring harness plug from receptacle on left end of control panel assembly.
(2) Remove four screws from the corner of the mounting flanges of the control panel.
(3) Remove a screw from the loop clamp holding the temperature control thermostat bulb, and remove the
(4) Withdraw the control panel assembly from the air conditioner while carefully leading the sensor-bulb
and capillary tube through the grommet and hole.
d. Remove the junction box assembly from the air conditioner in the following manner:
(1) Loosen the setscrew in the end of the core end fitting on the circuit breaker reset cable. Straighten the end
of the cable, and remove the core end fitting.
(2) Remove two screws from two loop clamps holding the circuit breaker reset cable, and remove the cable
from the juntion box.
(3) Unscrew two panel fasteners from each of the two mounting flanges at the ends of the junction box.
(4) Lean the junction box forward,
and disconnect the two wiring harness plugs from the receptacles
back of the junction box. Remove the junction box from the air conditioner.
Remove the filter-drier from the air conditioner as directed in the following procedure:
All refrigerant gas must be discharged from the system before proceeding with the removal of the
a Discharge refrigerant
in paragraph 5.22.a. When all refrigerant
has been discharged, remove one
screw from the outside of the casing, that holds the filter-drier band clamp.
b. Unscrew the tubing flare nuts from the top and bottom connections of the filte-drier. Remove the filter-drier
and band clamp.
c. Loosen the clamping screw on the band clamp, and slide the band clamp from the filter-drier.