Table 5-2. Pressure-Temperature
Relationship of Saturated Refrigerant-22
d. Operate the air conditioner in the cooling mode for about 30 minutes, observing the thermometer or
thermcouple dial to see that the temperate has stabilized. When the temperature remains unchanged for at least two
minutes, record the temperature and pressure.
e. Compare the recorded temperature and pressure with those in Table 5-2. Each expansion valve should
register higher than the values in the Table by the following amount.
(1) Evaporator expansion valve:
6 1.5 For 3.3 0.8C
(2) Quench expansion valve: 30.4 0.5 For 16.7 0.3C
f. If the superheat setting is not within the limits shown above (higher than values in Table 5-2), adjusting the
expansion valve as follows: (See figure 5-9).
(1) Remove the hexagonal seal cap (2, figure 5-9) from the side of the powe rassembly (1), and loosen the
bonnet seal (3).
(2) Turn the adjusting stem (5) two complete turns to change superheat one degree F. Turn clockwise to
raise, and counterclockwise to lower. the superheat setting. Do not turn more than two full turns. then wait two minutes
for temperature to stabilize before observing temperature and pressure readings.
(3) When the proper setting is obtained, replace the screw cap and seal on the valve adjusting stem (5).