(7) Move airbrake hand control lever
(16) down to set semitrailer brakes. Depress
clutch pedal (6), place gearshift lever (7) in
R (reverse), and release handbrake (8).
(8) Release clutch pedal (6) and slowly back tractor under semitrailer. Check that the
semitrailer king pin (4) slides within the V-shaped opening at the rear of the fifth wheel and
releases the locking plunger (17) when engaging the coupling jaws.
Keep the tractor in line with the semitrailer while backing up.
(9) When the semitrailer king pin (4) engages the coupling jaws of the fifth wheel, and
the locking plunger (17) is released, stop the tractor, depress clutch pedal (6), place gearshift
lever (7) in 1 (first) position, and partially release clutch pedal (6), until tractor pulls on
semitrailer king pin (4), to check that the coupling jaws are engaged.
(10) Depress clutch pedal (6), place gearshift lever (7) in N (neutral) position, release
clutch pedal, apply handbrake (8), and move airbrake hand control lever (16) up to release
(11) Connect tractor electrical cable (12) to semitrailer receptacle (9) and check the
operation of semitrailer lights by operating the trucks light switch, turn signal switch and brake
(12) Raise landing gear (5) on semitrailer. Remove and stow landing gear foot pads and
chock blocks in racks provided.
The fifth wheel wedges (18) must be adjusted for the terrain the truck will operate
on. Failure to do this may cause damage to the fifth wheel.
(13) Loosen two capscrews located in wedge slots of each wedge (18) and adjust wedges
by either positioning wedges full in (against the walking beam (19)) to locked position (no
lateral movement) for highway operation, or positioning wedges full out (away from walking
beam) to unlocked position (walking beam tan move laterally) for cross-country operation.
After wedges are adjusted, tighten the capscrews.