TM 9-3417-213-14 & P
C. PROCEDURE FOR REMOVING AND REPLACING QUILL COUNTER-BALANCE SPRING
(Extreme caution should be exercised in this operation and instructions followed closely as this spring is 11 foot
long when unwound.)
assembly refer to B-B and view Z:
1. The safest way to perform this operation is to first drop the quill assembly (101-212-307) down until the rack
on the quill clears the pinion on the (100-004-546) cross shaft.
a. This is performed by first removing the drawbar and the (100-027-771) vernier holder and then the
two 5/16-18 x 7/8 socket heads in the (100-002-917) quill block.
b. Holding the left hand on the bottom of the spindle and the right hand on the hand feed lever (101-212-
312) slowly run the quill down out of the head casting by rotating the hand lever counter-clockwise
(When the quill rack clears the pinion, the quill is free to fall and the hand lever may unwind very
rapidly causing injury if not held tight and unwound slowly.)
the (100-007-100) plate to the (100-009-202) adapter.
3. Remove the three 5/8 hex nuts which bolt the (100-007-100) plate to the head casting.
4. Grasp the (100-007-100) in such a way that the thumb can be pressed against the (100-002-910) cover
shown in section K-K and gently pull the entire assembly away from the head. It may be necessary to
gently tap this plate with a soft hammer to break the initial contact with the head.
5. After this assembly is removed fr om the head and layed on a bench, very carefully lift the (100-002-910)
cover off the spring by holding it in place and pulling the (100-002-909) coupling away from the assembly.
6. Very carefully pry the shield (100-002-911) away from the spring assembly.
7. Now the spring can be pushed out of the (100-004-542) housing from the bottom of the inside.
8. When the new spring is installed, it will have to be in the right direction so that the hook on the spring is in
the same direction as the slot in the (100-002-909) coupling.
9. When the three 5/8 nuts are put back on, they should be snug until the (100-007-100) plate is securely
fastened to the (100-009-202) adapter by means of the two 7/16-14 x 1-1/2" socket head cap screws.
10. When the quill is replaced in the head, the counter-balance spring must be wound up tight by moving the
hand lever (101-212-312) counter clockwise to its limit and then engage the quill rack with the cross shaft
This spring is not intended to return the quill to its upper position, it is merely to
cancel out the weight of the quill assembly.
D. QUILL FEED TRIPS & DEAD STOP ADJUSTMENT:
Refer to drawing #101-212-202. The Vertical Mill is provided with a means for setting an adjustable automatic
feed trip device for the downward movement of the quill. Feed trip rod #100-002-961 actuates feed trip plunger
#100-002-958 through feed trip arm #100-002-952 to disengage clutch. Disengagement occurs when quill feed
trip key #100-002-917 contacts quick shift dial sleeve nut #100-002-763.
Downward feed adjustment is made by loosening knurled thumb screw #056-033-152 and repositioning quick
shift dial sleeve nut #100-002-763.
E. DRIVE BELTS:
Refer to drawing #101-212-204. To provide the necessary slack for shifting of belt it is only necessary to loosen
the motor clamp handle #100-002-955 (on right rear of pulley guard) and move motor forward. Increase belt
tension by moving motor back and tightening motor clamp handle. To replace worn or broken belt remove 6
socket head screws from top of #111-212-002 drive pulley cartridge and lift off #111-212-002 cartridge,
(2 tapped holes provided for jack screw if req'd.)