TM 9-3417-213-14 & P
F. SPINDLE BRAKE - VARIABLE SPEED HEAD
TO ADJUST THE SPINDLE BRAKE:
1. Start the spindle.
2. Turn 1/4-20 set screw #010-102-576 in until you hear the brake rubbing, then back the set screw out just
enough to stop rubbing. Lock in place with jam nut.
3. Turn complete brake handle ass'y. so that 111-218-204 shaft rotates clockwise until you hear the brake
rubbing, then turn counter clockwise just enough to stop rubbing & allow the handle to be hanging down. If
the handle is pointing up when properly adjusted, knock the 3/16 dia. spiral, tin #010-454-512 out, reverse
the handle 180 0 & replace the 3/16 dia. pin, so that the handle is hanging down.
A. VERTICAL SPINDLE
1. The spindle Start Stop Reverse Control is located at the upper left on the motor.
2. On the standard V-belt drive head the spindle brake lever is located at the top left of the pulley guard
assembly. Move it to the left or right to engage the brake.
After moving to the left or right this lever may be raised to maintain brake engagement and hold the spindle
in a fixed radial position for tool changing.
3. On the variable speed drive head the spindle brake is located at the bottom left of the pulley guard. It is
engaged by pulling the control lever out away from the pulley guard. This camming action actuates the
caliper type brake and will hold it in engagement until the control lever is returned back to its normal
position flush with the pulley guard.
Always be sure spindle brake is completely disengaged before attempting to start
spindle rotation in either direction.
4. Spindle speeds on the standard V-belt drive are changed by changing the position of the V-belt connecting
the motor pulley to the spindle pulley and by shifting the back gear lever (high, low, or neutral).
5. Spindle speeds on the variable speed drive head are even more readily changed by moving the control
lever from left to right or right to left with the spindle motor running and by shifting the back gear (high low or
Always be sure spindle motor is running before attempting to move variable speed
The back gear lever (shift lever #100-002-900) is located on the upper left side of the head. The lever has 3
positions; high, low, and neutral. in the high (out) position, spindle drive is geared directly from spindle
pulley to spindles (dog clutch #100-002991 is in up position, in contact with drive cone pulley hub #100-002-
999). in the low (in) position, spindle drive is geared through back gear #100-002-985 (dog clutch #100-
002-991 is in down position, back gear #100-002-991 is in mesh with back gear #100-004-557).
Because of back gear construction, when machine is running in low speed range,
spindle rotation is opposite to that of high speed range. Therefore, forward on
reversing switch becomes reverse when in low speed range.
When shifting from neutral to high or low, turn spindle by hand while pushing
back gear lever into position. This allows gears to line up in low speed and dog
clutch to line up in high speed. When shifting into high, it is imperative to have the
spindle brake in the brake on position.
The power feed engagement lever #100-002-900 is located directly below the back gear lever. This lever has 2 positions;
in, to engage spindle power feed transmission, and out to disengage spindle power feed transmission.