(4) Remove bolt (3), lockwasher (2), and
Clamp pulley in a soft jaw vise.
flatwasher (1) securing alternator to adjusting bracket (4).
(3) Remove shoulder nut (20) from alternator
(5) Remove bolt (7), lockwasher (5), and nut (6),
then remove the adjusting bracket (4).
Remove pulley (17) and key from rotor shaft.
(6) Pull down on alternator to release tension on
alternator belt. Remove alternator belt from pulley.
(5) Install new pulley in reverse order.
(7) From underneath semitrailer, remove two
bolts (12 and 13), flatwashers (9), lockwashers (10), and
(6) Install alternator (19) (step d).
(8) Remove ground cable (nearest) from
(1) Connect the positive cable to the positive
terminal on the alternator and the negative cable to the
(9) Pull alternator from mounting bracket (16).
negative terminal on alternator (19).
Turn alternator and remove positive cable.
(2) Locate sliding bushing in one of ears on the
(10) Remove alternator.
alternator. Move bushing so it is flush with the inside of
ear. This will give more clearance between the ears to
facilitate installation of alternator to the mounting
(1) Loosen alternator adjusting bolt (3,
(3) Install bolt (13) and washer (9) into bushing
alternator to mounting bracket (16).
(4) Install alternator over ears of mounting
bracket (16). While doing this, have a second person
alternator and the pump housing. Be sure that lower end
replace both bolts (12 and 13) through ears of alternator
of bar will bear against the pump housing. Pull UP on the
and mounting bracket. Replace washers (10) and nuts (11).
bar and apply sufficient force to obtain proper belt
Do not tighten.
tension. Proper belt tension is 1/8 to -inch deflection in
the belt midway between the two pulleys.
(5) Replace alternator belt (18) over pulley (17).
(6) Replace adjusting bracket (4) on alternator
mounting bolts (12 and 13).
with capscrew (3), lockwasher (2), and flatwasher. Do not
(7) Secure adjusting bracket (4) to bracket (8)
with capscrew (7), lockwasher (5), and nut (6).
(8) Replace buss bar box cover and secure it with
two capscrews and nuts.
(10) Connect positive and negative battery cables
Replacement of Alternator Drive Belt (M967A1,
(1) Remove any broken belt fragments from the