Section XVIII. MAINTENANCE OF FILTER/SEPARATOR AND SUMP COMPONENTS
(M969, M969A1, M970, and M970A1)
(10) Disassemble canister assembly as follows:
(a) Pull adapter (13) from canister (12).
(b) Remove fuses (15) from canister and
Read and observe all safety precautions
(c) Remove fuse clip (14).
listed in the Warning Summary before
performing maintenance on filter/separator.
(d) Remove two gaskets (16 and 17) from
Ensure that semitrailer is grounded to an
adapter. Gasket (17) might remain in filter/separator;
approved (earth) ground and it is safe to
proceed. Failure to follow this warning may
cause a spark to ignite, resulting in serious
(11) Unscrew plastic retainers (18) from the
injury or death to personnel.
element (19) guide pipes.
(12) Slide elements (19) off guide pipes.
Removal of Elements and Fuses.
Installation of Elements and Fuses.
on the guide pipes farthest from the service port. Coat
Be sure all valves are closed.
Install elements on guide pipes.
(1) Place a suitable container under the manual
(2) Install plastic retainers (18) and hand tighten
fluid from filter/separator. When thoroughly drained,
only. Do not overtighten.
close drain valve.
(3) Reassemble canister assembly:
(a) Install two new gaskets (16 and 17) in
adapter (13). Gasket (16) will not go in flat.
Note location of lead seal wires for
(b) Place adapter on bench and insert three
new Go-No-Go fuses (15). Push fuses all the way down
(2) Cut two lead seal wires at top and bottom of
(c) Place clip (14) on top of fuses.
(d) Slide canister (12) over fuses (15) and
(3) Remove 12 nuts (1), bolts (2), and washers (3)
push into adapter.
that fasten cover (4) to mounting flange.
(4) Put a canister assembly through the service
(4) Remove cover (4) by pulling straight out from
port with adapter end down toward bottom of tank. Turn
adapter end to the left and lift canister into position on the
upper guide rods farthest from service port. Slide canister
(5) Remove gasket (5) and discard.
to the left until it fits into the outlet hole.
(6) Unscrew four wingnuts (6) and remove with
(5) Raise end of canister assembly and install
washers (7 and 8).
support (10) near end of canister.
(6) Install next canister on top guide rods,
(7) Remove retaining plate (9).
followed by lower row starting with the farthest
installation and working toward service port.
(8) Starting with lower canister assembly
(nearest to service port), remove the support (10), and pull
canister assembly (11) to the right until it drops down so it
can be removed through the service port.
Hand tighten wingnuts. DO NOT use a
(9) Remove the four remaining canister
(7) Replace canister retainer plate (9) and secure
assemblies in the same way; always remove lower canister
with four wingnuts (6) and washers (7 and 8).