Section IV. REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF MAJOR COMPONENTS
5-11. Torque Rods
(Up r and Lower) M967,
5-10. Upper Coupler (Kingpin) Plate Replacement
M969, and M970 except 970 SN TC-0843, TC-
(1) Remove cotter pins and slotted nuts from
(1) Provide a balanced support for upper coupler
threaded end of ball assemblies.
(2) Tap threaded end of ball assembly with a soft
(2) Remove twelve locknuts (1), bolts (3), and
hammer to loosen ball assembly from bracket.
washers (2). Discard locknuts.
(3) Use a crowbar or cold chisel to pry the torque
rod from the brackets. The ball assemblies are mounted in
(3) Remove upper coupler plate (4) from under
robber and can be moved out of normal alinement for
removal or installation.
(1) Place upper coupler plate (4) on a
(1) insert threaded end of ball assembly in hole
of bracket on the bogie assembly. Using torque rod as a
lever, bend the ball assembly out of normal alinement so
(2) Lift upper coupler plate (4) into position
ball assembly on other end is near the hole in the axle
under semitrailer. Loosely install twelve bolts (3), washers
(2), and new locknuts (l).
(2) Use a crowbar or cold chisel to bend the ball
assembly so it can be pushed into hole in axle bracket. Use
(3) Ensure that upper coupler plate (4) is flush
care not to damage the ball assembly.
against semitrailer. Tighten twelve locknuts (1) to
(3) Install slotted nuts on lower torque rod and
tighten to 350-400 lb.-ft.
(4) Install cotter pins to secure the slotted nuts.
Figure 5-1, Upper
Coupler (Kingpin) PIate (Later Models)